Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Lent

I wonder about Lent. I wonder who came up with it. I wonder how important it is, or how valuable. I hear tidbits from those who have observed Lent, but don't remember hearing many stirring testimonials. Where I grew up, Lent was not observed - at least not religiously. For some reason this year I found myself wondering about it - wondering why it is observed and whether I ought to do so. Is it for the discipline? The sacrifice and suffering? The appreciation of blessings?

I toyed with the idea of doing some serious study about the history and rationale of Lenten observance, but have mostly just kept my ears open and have asked a few questions. Some friends are fasting from social networking; at least one is giving up entire food groups in a Daniel fast. One that has captured my attention is "40 Days of Water" put on by Blood:Water Mission. Evidently members give up all beverages except water and participate in various awareness events. I wonder if I could do that. I wonder if I want to do that. I wonder if I would be serious enough to really make it happen.

Then I wonder again about the big picture, about the motivation to give something up for Lent. I suppose the reasons may be as diverse as the people. Is it legalistic? Ritualistic? I don't feel compelled to participate, but neither do I totally reject the notion. Perhaps I'll mentally file these wonderings in the "fasting" folder - and pull them out at another appropriate time to re-think the topic. Maybe next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment