I often feel scattered - or pulled in different directions. There are so many things to do - things that I want to do, things that I need to do, things that I should do... Arrrrgh! How do I find balance? How can I be more productive? As I think these things, I remember something I wrote a couple years ago. Perhaps it would be helpful to pull it out & read it again...
............
Yep, I'm trying to get my house in order.
-My house - literally.
-My life.
-My office.
-My stuff.
-The piles, the files, the messes.
Nope, this is NOT a new quest. I've been trying to get my stuff organized, sorted, de-cluttered for years now. Am I making any progress? Oh, boy; do I ever HOPE so.
But it seems like I keep getting STUCK. Like it's three steps forward, two steps back. At least, I certainly hope there are more forward than back.
So I try new methods. I encourage myself to stick with the old ones - the ones that seem to work. I use gimmicks. I post reminders. I seek accountability & support. I promise myself rewards. I try to discover the obstacles & find ways to remove them. I evaluate which things are time-wasters & work at eliminating them.
In my honest moments, I realize that I'm probably still trying to attempt too many things at once. My old habits of multi-tasking tempt me to spread my focus too wide. My tendency for not wanting to miss out on anything hinders my attempt to choose a single goal. But I must.
So, now I've happened upon a new tactic. How about if I begin to ask myself "What ONE thing...?"
-What one thing bothers me the most today?
-What one thing could I change that would improve my world?
-What one thing would make me feel better about myself & my day?
-What one thing is most urgent? Or most important?
This just might work - in various settings - to give me the nudge I need.
-What one thing could I do before I take a break? (or "before I go to bed?")
-What one thing could I accomplish in this 5 minutes before heading out the door? (or "...before my TV show comes on?" or "...while dinner is cooking?")
-What one thing could I be working on WHILE watching Jeopardy?
(or INSTEAD of Jeopardy - *gasp*)
-What one thing could I do during the next commercial break?
-What one thing could I put away before grabbing that snack?
Speaking of snacks, I realize that this could apply to other areas in my life - where I need to narrow my focus & choose only the best - like food. For example, before popping something into my mouth, I could ask myself:
-What ONE thing would I most like to eat - instead of munching on a whole bunch of stuff?
My friend has given me ideas of other ways to use this. When taking a break from work, she suggests asking "What one thing would I enjoy the most for this break time?" Then for a chunk of work time, she asks "What one thing do I most want to have done?"
So again I try - to take steps to get my house de-cluttered. What shall I tackle this week? What one thing?
..........
Sure enough, this is not a new battle for me. I do, however, notice a couple changes. Improvements, hopefully. I don't watch Jeopardy anymore - but not because of any virtuous decision on my part. Nope, it's just that we no longer get that channel since the switch to digital TV. Ya' gotta' love progress! But actually, I watch very little TV these days - so perhaps that has been a good step in eliminating time-wasters.
So I continue to struggle. Not gonna' give up. Important things are worth fighting for.
Love it Kaye, you could use this question, like you say for all aspects of your life. I could use it to get moving with my projects, as I have too many. So asking about just doing one thing may help me too. Thanks for sharing it.
ReplyDeleteAnd thank you for taking time to comment.
DeleteThis picking one thing at a time is such a good idea and so simple, but I have to remind myself of it often.