Wednesday, September 15, 2010

September

Quite often as I ride the lawn tractor this time of year, these few lines run through my head. "The goldenrod is yellow The corn is turning brown The gentian's lovely fringes Hang halfway to the ground" ...and then that's all I can ever remember of the old poem, "September," from country school days. I used to wonder how/where I could find it, but hey, now that we're in the internet age, certainly I can find it online. Sure enough; after a few dead ends, Google led me to it. Turns out I didn't have those lines quite right, but not too bad. Here it is... for your autumn reading enjoyment. 

 September 
 
THE golden-rod is yellow; 
 The corn is turning brown; 
 The trees in apple orchards 
 With fruit are bending down. 
 
The gentian's bluest fringes 
 Are curling in the sun; 
 In dusty pods the milkweed 
 Its hidden silk has spun. 
 
The sedges flaunt their harvest, 
 In every meadow nook; 
 And asters by the brook-side 
 Make asters in the brook, 

 From dewy lanes at morning 
 The grapes' sweet odors rise; 
 At noon the roads all flutter 
 With yellow butterflies. 

 By all these lovely tokens 
 September days are here, 
 With summer's best of weather, 
 And autumn's best of cheer. 

 But none of all this beauty 
 Which floods the earth and air 
 Is unto me the secret 
 Which makes September fair. 
 'T is a thing which I remember; 
 To name it thrills me yet: 
 One day of one September I never can forget. 
 
- Helen Hunt Jackson (1830-1885)

No comments:

Post a Comment