Wednesday, December 1, 2010

December 1 - World AIDS Day

Today is World AIDS Day - dedicated to raising awareness of the AIDS pandemic caused by the spread of HIV infection. I won't presume to tell you what you should do about this fact. I don't even know yet what I'm going to do. But I can mention some things that we could do.

I could spend some time thinking about a few facts:
-that AIDS has killed more than 25 million people between 1981 and 2007
-that of the estimated 2 million who died in 2007, about 270,000 were children

I could let myself be appalled at the numbers of people currently living with AIDS:
-one million in the Congo
-one million in Uganda
-over a million each in Kenya, Tanzania, Zambia and the USA
-nearly two million each in Mozambique and Zimbabwe
-two million in Nigeria
-5.5 million in South Africa
-5.7 million in India

I can applaud the efforts of those who:
-have chosen to minister to AIDS orphans across the African continent
-are using their fame & their wealth to try to curb the spread of disease
-have invested their time to do research and find cures

I can grieve with those who grieve.
I can remember specific people who have died from AIDS.
I can celebrate their lives and the contributions they made to this world.
I can express my gratitude for having known some of them.
I can pay tribute to the amazing and talented Ron Sims.
I am a better person for loving and having been loved by him.

No comments:

Post a Comment