Thursday, August 4, 2011

thankful for clean water I am

Got a nasty surprise today. Rough news. Things may get worse before they get better. Already tight finances get even tighter. Current stressors suddenly feel overwhelming. The temptation is strong to panic, to complain, and to feel fearful. I am aware of a painful lump in my throat.

In the midst of it all, up pops my calendar reminder that today is Thankful Thursday. Oh, crap. I'm not feeling very thankful at the moment. But I will do this. I will find something for which to be thankful. As an American, that shouldn't be too hard, but a fearful focus tends to compete with thankfulness. Maybe I'll start small. Okay, here's one. How about air? Pretty basic to life. I have clean fresh air to breathe - and it's free. Besides that I have clean water to drink...

And that's all it took! The thought of clean water got to me. What a blessing it is. Wow. I began to think of all of the people who do not have access to clean water. Nearly one billion of them! And I'm not just talking about good (as in tasty) cold fresh water. We're simply referring to water that is not gross and loaded with all kinds of nasty things that will make them sick. Can you even imagine what it must to like to not have clean water available? Well, yah, I actually can imagine. I can remember being where it's not safe to drink the water. But the people did because that was their only option. I, on the other hand, could climb into a vehicle and go on down the road to where there WAS clean water. I even had money in my wallet so that I could buy some of it. And then I could come back home to America where a thousand faucets spout clean, clear water.

Yep, I'm feeling thankful - for fresh air and clean water. AND I'm thankful for my little Thankful Thursday exercise. I guess I needed that today.

Oh, and that painful lump in my throat... I can still feel it, but with a difference. Earlier it spoke of dread and/or self-pity. Now it feels more like compassion and a mandate. I must not let this moment pass unheeded. What will I do about it? There must be something more that I can do.

And, if anyone else is reading this, is there something more that you can do?

There are amazing wonderful organizations who are expertly doing something about clean water as well as many of the other issues that plague those trapped in poverty. Blood:Water Mission is one of many that focus specifically on clean water. Compassion International and World Vision are two of the most reputable child sponsorship organizations - both using a holistic, community development approach. I can confidently recommend either/both of them because they hold to high standards of efficiency, integrity and fiscal responsibility and they are making an incredible difference in the lives of thousands of children and their families. It has been my great privilege to meet some of them.

Yes, I'm feeling thankful. I am indeed blessed. May I be faithful in using my blessings to bless others!

3 comments:

  1. Saw your water post on FB yesterday and was feeling thankful for that myself. Our water here tastes pretty nasty, but we are blessed by it. My kids have plenty to swim in, bathe in, and drink... I have a similar knot in my throat much of the time lately because I can't shake the guilty feeling of the weight of my blessings. It's a fine line between being thankful and wanting to just sell everything and give it all away. Daily struggle...

    Our Compassion child has been such a gift, and I agree with you~ i highly recommend them to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandy, for some reason, I didn't get notification that you had commented on this - way back when - until just now. So let me thank you (belatedly) for your respond. God bless you as you continue to be faithful.

    ReplyDelete