I have been practicing Thankful Thursday for a couple years now. I do not want to take for granted the many blessings I have been given. Instead I want to live with a sense of wonder and appreciation and gratitude.
Some Thursdays I have to stop and think about it before I come up with something. I guess that would prove that this is a good exercise in helping me pause and be more aware. Other weeks there is something obvious that I am already feeling thankful for. Some weeks I pick something little and sometimes it's a biggie. Sometimes I make a list of several things.
Today is Thursday and this time it's a biggie for which I am thankful. Yesterday marked forty-two years married to an amazing man. That's forty years in the house we built together plus one year before building it and now one year since moving out. That's forty-two years of better and worse, of richer and poorer, of sickness and health, of loving and cherishing and being loved and cherished.
I remember those early days when I knew in my head that we would (hopefully) grow to love each other even more than we did then, but I could not imagine how that would be possible. That did, in fact, turn out to be true and now I can not imagine life without this man.
I remember how proud I felt to wear his ring and to have the world know he was mine. I also remember losing the diamond out of my engagement ring and realizing that our rings were but a tiny part of what we had given to each other and what we shared together.
After this many years, our aging bodies remind us that we should indeed be thankful for the good days, the rich times, the healthy times. We realize that we have no promise of more weeks or years and that we should be doing the things that we still want to do. For example, before we were married, we talked of being happy together in Alaska, but we haven't made it there yet, so it's time to make that a priority.
The only thing that could taint my happiness is the knowledge that this relationship has been more than a bit lopsided. He has given me far more than I have given him and he has put up with more crap from me then I have had to deal with from him. He has built desks and bookshelves and cupboards and closets for me - not to mention a house or two. He has painted paintings and recorded music for me and grilled pork chops for me. He has taken me camping and to foreign countries and out to dinner. He has been patient and he has supported me in my dreams. He has loved me well.
I am grateful for this lopsided deal - grateful and amazed.
I look forward to lots more Thankful Thursdays together.
I plan to enjoy every week that we have and to keep finding ways to celebrate.
On this Thursday, I am so very thankful.

No comments:
Post a Comment