Saturday, April 30, 2016

Start with peace

'Twas a good week and a busy week. 
Routines got neglected. 
Stuff got messed up. That's life. 
And yes, I'm aware I'm speaking for more than just myself...
So where do we start? 
  • There's that pile of "new" things that came in from the storage unit last week and didn't find a home yet. Most of it doesn't deserve a home - at least not here. Surely someone else could make better use of it. But that takes time - to sort and to haul away.
  • Then there's that stuff that got pulled out of that tight spot in the closet where it was stored away - and that’s right; it never got returned to its spot - so it is piled up somewhere else.
  • There’s the pile of fresh laundry that I so energetically got washed and dried - and even folded! - early this morning, but is still waiting to be put away.
  • There are the books from the library who do not yet have a temporary home - because this was the first time we got books from this library. 
  • There are groceries waiting to be put away. There's a fridge to clean out. 
  • Then there’s the closet that I have been wanting to organize. Things have been going in there since we moved in but I have yet to set it up the way I want it. The same is true of my desk drawers…
  • Oh, and our storage cage down in the dungeon! That needs major attention!
  • There are so, so many things that I need/want to get done. Makes me tired just thinking about it. 

How about you?
Have you had a busy week?
Has anything been neglected around your house?
Which things need your attention?
Do you have a strategy to tackle them?

For me it starts with my attitude. Will I let the piles discourage me? Will I give up? I do have a choice here. I could choose to pick one thing and get 'er done. But which one thing? And will it really make a difference?

For the sake of my emotional health, I know that I need to make a pretty big dent in the way things are. I need to find some of my good routines and get them back in action. I really need to tackle those desk drawers. But sometimes you just gotta’ go for the obvious. In this case, I think that means the visible. 

I need some visible peace. I need to focus on the things that I see every day. To create some visible calm. That means getting stuff "hidden" behind closed doors. Yes, I need to open those doors and do the real work behind them. Yes, I know the danger of putting things out of sight which may lead to them never getting done. But I also know that I have to start somewhere. And I know that feeling overwhelmed is not a very effective motivator. So for this moment I believe it is time to banish the visible clutter.

So here I go to create a bit of beauty. Or at least a point of peace. To transform at least one spot of chaos into calm...

And you?

Is there one task that would create a bit of peace and calm in your life?

Would that make it a better day?

Or is there another strategy that will work better for you?


2 comments:

  1. I agree that physical stuff can be so overwhelming that sometimes you just need to get it out of sight before you can figure it out. I think that until the closets and cupboards are dealt with, however, the stuff you tuck away will slowly creep back out into the living space. I totally have boxes in my garage from our move almost 3 years ago - it is definitely hard to bother with them now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! It's tricky to find the balance, isn't it? Thanks for taking time to comment.

      Delete