The first time I remember hearing the term downsizing, it seemed like a bad word.
Some company was downsizing and letting go a whole bunch of good people.
Downsizing resulted in pain and fear and frustration.
I also remember that when I began hearing about downsizing in one's personal life, I was still not impressed that it was a good thing. Someone was speaking of the freedom and simplicity of living with less stuff and I could only think of how much I liked my stuff. Most of my stuff felt important to me and I couldn’t imagine how life could be better without it. I was not at all interested in giving up my prized possessions. I knew that doing so could be a terribly difficult task. It did not seem like fun.
...
Much of my stuff symbolized my heritage and my legacy.
The thought of getting rid of those was appalling.
Heart-breaking.
...
But oh, my. I am so glad that we didn't stay stuck there.
That we finally became willing to at least think about it.
To admit that we didn't need it all.
That it really was too much.
And that eventually we were somehow convinced to give it a shot.
...
Life is so much better with less stuff.
But wait; please hear what I am not saying.
I am not saying that life is better now than it was back then when we had more stuff.
'Twas a wonderful life and I am terribly grateful for it all.
I AM saying that our “now” is better than it would be if we had tried to keep everything.
No, maybe that’s still not quite right.
Our “now” would simply not be possible if we had insisted on keeping everything.
I guess that's it.
Great post Kaye
ReplyDeleteThanks for reading...
DeleteLove your observations.
ReplyDeleteThanks for taking time to read - and to comment.
Delete