We just walked to a movie.
We walked to a movie.
That may not sound like a big deal, but it kind of feels like it for me.
Well, at least it seems like a fun thing.
Well, at least it seems like a fun thing.
I suppose it has something to do with reading and hearing stories about people who used to walk to the movies in their childhood. I couldn’t quite imagine that. It was hard to picture what that would have been like - maybe because I wasn’t even allowed to WATCH movies when I was a kid, but probably mostly because I lived out in the boonies where we couldn’t walk to anything. Well, except to our one-room country school over a mile away. Well, and half a mile down to my uncle’s place to get our ice cream from their freezer because we didn’t have one. Wait; did we really do that? Was that really true or am I embellishing that memory?
But yes, I have lived out in the country on a farm six miles from the nearest town for pretty much all my life. 'Twas a good life. A great life even. But we weren't exactly within walking distance of many conveniences.
All of that has changed in recent years and especially in our current situation.
We are now within walking distance of lots of things. We have excellent walking options in all directions really.
First there is...
The little plaza across the street
...which is a skeleton of what it used to be, but still offers several conveniences and services. We like all three of the restaurants - Classic Coney Island, the Clio Roadhouse, and O-Graydee's. Good food, great prices.
We walked to the consignment store when searching for dining chairs.
When we run out of milk or eggs or snacks, we can walk to Dollar General.
Bob likes the convenience of having a UPS store so handy.
We haven't yet indulged in Extreme Indoor Kart Racing but I bet we will as an antidote to cabin fever once winter weather sets in. The Fitness Center is also right there waiting for us when we can no longer take the frozen temps outside.
AND the theater. When we first moved here we had been told that the movie theater was closed but we later discovered that that is no longer the case. They are open and show some fun flicks - at old-time prices! Yay! What a fun surprise.
Down the sidewalk to the east:
And speaking of theaters, there is also a community theater offering new productions every couple months - just a couple doors over.
We can walk to the Senior Center to play a piano or an organ or to buy lunch for two dollars!
And the library which is one of the first things I check out in a new community. Yep, it is within walking distance - only half a mile from home.
To the park and downtown and beyond:
The city park has several playground areas, three picnic pavilions and fitness trails that head off in several directions. In fact, if you pick the right one you can end up at Dairy Queen. Yes, we have done that. Walking back home burns off the calories.
We can walk to the restored train depot museum and to the cool old downtown buildings. My favorite is the quaint hardware store with three jam-packed sections. What a glorious hodgepodge! It reminds me of Barden’s Hardware in Kingston and Schlichter’s in Marlette. Fun times. I like the rows and rows of gift items and nifty dishes and kitchen supplies. Oh, and this one has numerous wind-chimes and I can’t help but sample the lovely low-tones. Mmmm…
The toy section rivals at least some of the toy aisles at Walmart with an impressive array of blocks and puzzles and other educational games and toys. I like that. Ooh; Christmas shopping within walking distance; how fun is that?!? I might feel like I’m at the Olsons’ Mercantile in Walnut Grove.
Churches:
There are two of them right here beside and behind us. Besides a variety of worship service styles and times and the daily serenade of church bells - which we enjoy hearing, they also provide playgrounds, ball fields and lots of walking pathways. Yes, we have taken advantage of all of these offerings. Now THERE's something else I had only heard of and imagined (and sung about!) before now: walking to church on a Sunday morning; walking and hearing the church bells chime.
Also we have just discovered that we can walk as far as VG's and the Brough Bakery when the weather is nice. Yum!
Also we have just discovered that we can walk as far as VG's and the Brough Bakery when the weather is nice. Yum!
Walkability
While I very much loved living out in the country, I've also always been a bit fascinated with the idea of living in town where you can walk to things. Sure enough we do love our little town and one of the reasons is its walkability. We often shake our heads and marvel about being within such easy walking distance of the library, shopping for necessities, THREE restaurants, parks and playgrounds for our grandkids and abundant hiking options.
And then, to top it all off, the surprise discovery that this little theater is indeed open again and that we can walk to "the movies"... Well, that's just bonus. I had never thought to add "walking to the movies" to my bucket list, but it turns out to be rather fun!

No comments:
Post a Comment