Big news!
We are buying a house.
That's right. After coming off the road a year ago, we've decided we like it.
I wrote recently about our one-year lease on a small apartment.
I described how that one year has been so right in so many ways.
It has been a time to get through the rest of those bins and boxes that got moved out of the big house five years ago and hadn’t been dealt with yet. That is MAJOR accomplishment!
It has been a chance to try a winter back in Michigan and figure out that there is much about it that we like or at least can cope with.
It has been a time to explore our new little town and to look for places where we could get involved. I have worked hard to make connections here but none of them have really been a good fit for either of us.
This year has also been a chance to explore the Flint area - AND to get acquainted with International students - which has been a long-term dream for us. We volunteer once a week helping students with conversational English. Through that connection, we have realized that that is where we belong. And that is where we long to live - near the university so that we can hang out with students on a more regular basis and so that we can serve them in other ways as well.
So, as the end of our one-year lease approached, we began looking at houses - and we found one! It is smack dab between two universities. In fact, it is within walking distance of U of M Flint as well as the old downtown area. AND the farmers’ market. I’m not even sure which we are most excited about - because there are so many things we love about the area.
Are there concerns about living in Flint, Michigan?
Of course, there are.
Flint is often in the national news because of the lead in the water.
And yes, there are safety issues in any city.
But there are concerns about living anywhere.
In any town or city.
And even about living out in the country.
On the other hand, there is much to love about living in the city and I’m just beginning to explore them. In fact, my list is growing by the day. I’m guessing the things on that list will become topics for lots of blog posts in the coming weeks.
So this country girl is ready to try living in the city.
Stay tuned for the next adventures!
...
Two late notes:
First, we won't be making the move for about a month.
Secondly, you can read Bob's perspective on his travel blog.

How exciting Kaye, I lived in the inner city in my twenties and thirties and loved every minute of it. Im back to my country beginnings now and love the peace and quiet but I still love what city life has to offer. All the best, your goals to help the students sounds wonderful.
ReplyDeleteKath
Thanks, Kath. It's funny how we can really love country life but also really love the city. I feel so grateful that I have now had the chance to do both. Amazing.
Delete