I often have a choice about what to do with my next few minutes.
I could stare at a screen and play a game or surf the web.
Or I could stop and think of other options that might be a lot more valuable. I might even be able to pick myself up out of the chair and actually DO something...
I just read something by Ed Cyzewski on this topic.
Could it be that he struggles with that same choice?
Here's what he says:
...
The other day I had a few moments to myself at home, and I had a choice...
A question came to mind:
"What will help me become my true self?"
I don’t know where it came from, but it helped me move beyond the simple pursuit of pleasure or comfort. It guided me past the quick fix mentality that drives social media use.
I put the iPad down….
Instead, I read from Thomas Merton’s Conjectures of a Guilty Bystander (my second time through), and Merton guided me toward a faith that seeks to know the living God rather than believing out of duty or being good. In the space of a page Merton grounded me in what a daily spirituality can look like."
I’m all in favor of leisure and hobbies, but I’m also aware that each day I face a choice between immersing myself in distractions or cultivating my true self.
We have these small but ultimately significant decisions each day. It’s funny to write about them in retrospect, but in the moment, we all know that choosing the healthier, soul-restoring activity requires more will power than we want to admit.
...
According to Ed Cyzewski, I can...
- immerse myself in distractions or
- cultivate my true self.
Which will I choose?
What will help me become my true self?
No comments:
Post a Comment