I am sitting at the Flint Farmers’ Market enjoying a tasty bowl of chicken pho from MaMang Vietnamese food counter. Finally. I've watched people eat it and heard many friends rave about it. And finally I tried it for myself. Yes, I like it. Very much.
I love this place. This farmers' market. Since the first time I set foot here I have been impressed with the vitality and diversity of the place. The variety of food options - whether fresh and raw or already cooked. 'Tis a beautiful place. So colorful - both literally and culturally. Perhaps especially today as flags from 80 countries flutter in the air around the atrium - in preparation for the International Taste Fest this week.
I am excited. I’ve been waiting for this event for a really long time - without even knowing about it.
Here’s the thing. We moved to this city to hang out with Internationals. We had hopes of getting acquainted with people from all over the world. I imagined International dinners and other happenings to celebrate the cuisine of other cultures.
It seemed like there were quite a few Internationals around Flint, but how to find them turned out to be a little tricky. When we first came to the area I had to get pretty creative to make connections. I knocked on a lot of doors (well, not literally) and made a bunch of phone calls before eventually finding people who pointed me to other people who worked with International students and we were finally able to connect.
But here we are now - living in this diverse city - and here I am volunteering with two different organizations serving immigrants and International students. What fun!!! Turns out the timing was great; we got here just in time to get in on the ground floor of the brand-new International Center of Greater Flint. It has been my privilege to set up their Facebook page and to promote this very cool kick-off event, The International Taste Fest. A dream come true.
Eighteen countries are represented at this event - providing food, beverages and entertainment.
Today while I was slurping my bowl of Vietnamese pho at MaMang, Tony told me that he would probably be serving Saigonese salad for the taste fest. I’m told that it contains noodles, lettuce, chicken and cucumber and other good stuff. I look forward to it and many other samplings as well.
If you live in central or southeast Michigan, you should come!
The taste fest is Thursday, January 25, from 4 to 7 p.m. in the Ramsdell Room at Flint Farmers' Market.
And it's free!
Will I see you there?
No comments:
Post a Comment