I just discovered these lines that I wrote awhile ago after having been asked about the things or the people who may have discouraged or restricted me through the years. I was also asked about the people who were champions of my self-worth. People who encouraged my creativity and my leadership skills. I chose to focus mostly on the second question.
It wasn't hard to think of several who had discouraged me or restricted my options. This was a good opportunity to remind myself that I no longer need to pay attention to those voices.
More importantly, as I look back over the years of my various ministries and think about those questions, others come to my mind who have been my champions. It is too late to thank some of them but I want to express how very grateful I am for their support.
Topping that list are my dear partner Bob, my big brother Dave, my other brother Jerry, my father-in-law, and my long-time pastor Gary.
When others were saying that women couldn't be leaders, these guys were sending me articles about women who were. They were inviting me to speak from their pulpits. They encouraged me to follow my calling and to use my voice and my words to influence people. They took me seriously when others chose to ignore or discourage my contribution.
Many women have been restricted and deeply discouraged if not downright prohibited from serving in leadership. I have had a taste of that restriction and rejection - which makes me all the more thankful for those who have stood with me in support as I explored ways to fulfill my God-given potential.
I am so grateful for each of you and your partnership in the good work.

No comments:
Post a Comment