Monday, November 19, 2018

My big brother

Remembering my big brother...

Dave D'Arcy, 1942-2018

My earliest memories include my big brothers...
…Coming home from the barn together on the garden path as they held my hands until they were running too fast for me so I just picked up my feet and let them carry me.
…Getting to stay at school all afternoon to walk home with them rather than leaving at the early dismissal time for younger students.
…These big boys teaching their little sister how to play ball and taking time to play catch with me and eventually admitting that I was pretty good. For a girl!

I remember when Dave headed off to college. It felt like a big change to have him gone. But I also remember it as sort of my first chance to become acquainted with little bits of the outside world - because I was so enamored by what all he was doing.
I remember when he brought Becky home to meet the family and when I found out that I was finally going to have a sister!
I also remember when he brought the quartet home and I suddenly had three MORE big brothers!
I remember when he brought me a cuckoo-clock from Switzerland!
I remember being in Shupe Hall when I got his phone call congratulating me on becoming an aunt - when Carmen was born...
I remember standing by him in his grief when Becky died and wishing I knew how to help.

And I remember when he brought Joyce home to meet the family and I learned that I was going to have another sister!
More recently I remember how Dave encouraged me to follow my calling and to use my voice and my words to influence people. He treated me with respect and valued my thoughts while some men seemed to ignore my contribution because I am a woman.
I’m thankful that I had Dave as my biggest big brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment