Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Cardigan Day

A friend just shared a post from a local business who is celebrating Cardigan Day - also officially known as World Kindness Day - celebrating the legacy of Mister Rogers and his efforts to spread kindness in the world.  I was delighted to think that this might really be a thing so I had to Google it.    ...     Sure enough, it turns out to be true.

In Pittsburg where Mister Rogers lived and worked and hosted his famous neighborhood,  WQED has invited locals to wear cardigan sweaters and to come to the station to see his new portrait on display in their building.  At one hospital the babies in the nursery are dressed in adorable little red cardigans for the day.  

There are so many of these “awareness days” that I don’t even try to keep track of them all.  However I did just discover a website about these events and a 2020 calendar so I guess I can if I want to.

I love what the staff at Knights Insurance Agency is doing - not only with wearing cardigans, but in taking extra time and effort to express Mister Rogers’ philosophy to their clients:  
We want you to know that you are special
and we like you just the way you are! 
...
Let’s go out and show some kindness today!
Because you see, the cardigans are cool and fun and adorable and I think Mister Rogers would have approved.  But I think he would have been even happier to think that people are celebrating kindness and searching for ways to show it to their neighbors.


No comments:

Post a Comment