Thursday, September 30, 2021

September New Year

Historically September has marked a new year for me.  After college Bob and I became teachers thereby establishing the fact that we would live by the rhythm of the school calendar for most of our lives.  


During the years when I was a SAHM, I noticed that September became an almost sacred time for me.  As Dad and the kids (and foster kids and foreign-exchange students) headed back to school for the fall, my schedule once again contained a bit of routine.  I had the luxury of deciding what to do with at least some of my time.  Don’t get me wrong.  I love, love, LOVED summer vacation and the privilege and freedom to hang with the family, but the introvert in me became aware how precious and valuable it was to have a bit of solitary discretionary time. 


After Bob retired from teaching and began a second career, we found ourselves still celebrating that rhythm - particularly after-school snack time!  Seriously.  


All these years later, September still feels like a shift. Turning a corner.  A new beginning. A fresh start.  A time for new projects.  Interestingly we have actually re-engaged with the school year calendar during our recent work with incoming International students - a schedule that feels very familiar to us.





Turns out we are not the only ones who thinks in terms of the September new year.  Writer Jon Acuff hosts a September challenge each year.  This year's focus was a five-day "Back to..." challenge and was very helpful. 


I chose to get "back to" reading - specifically real books.  In order to make this more likely to happen, I decided to create space for it by starting my evening routine earlier so that I could get up earlier - to read.  (Why didn't I just read in the evening?  Tried that.  Too fidgety. Lack of focus.)  But this time I was a bit more intentional with a cozy reading spot... and it worked!  


I read an entire book in these last ten days.  And I learned a bunch of new stuff from our trusty leader as well as from others in the online group.  I am at this very moment strategizing and setting realistic goals for my own personal 90-day challenge during the next three months!  And I met a new writing friend who lives in France.  Bonus!


Yay for new beginnings and fresh starts.

Yay for second (and third) chances.

Yay for friends and strangers who can encourage and offer wisdom and perspective.


No comments:

Post a Comment