Sunday, July 31, 2022

The right way to do a jigsaw puzzle

You start a jigsaw puzzle by sorting out all the edge pieces and putting the border together.  Right?  I mean, everybody knows that!  Don’t they?!?

But… 


My very smart first-grade grand-daughter does not know that.  Evidently she didn’t get the memo.  Have I somehow failed in teaching her that important foundational principle?


Fortunately I’m smart enough to notice that my method (the RIGHT method!) was confusing her and messing with her progress.  It took me awhile but I was finally able to let go of my superiority and let her do it her way.   She took off and got that puzzle done.


I decided to sit back and watch her method and try to understand her reasoning.

Turns out that she starts with a totally different plan than I do.

She looks for the focal point.  

The face, the person or people, something beautiful or fun.  

She finds the good stuff, the cool stuff, the important stuff, the bright colors, and the best parts.

She gets those bright wonderful pieces put together… and then all the rest seem to fall into place quite nicely.  Yes, even the edge pieces.






Well, I never!

You mean to tell me that my way might not be the only way to do something?




Maybe she has a point.  Maybe it is a great idea to start with people. Maybe when I focus on the beauty in the situation, I’ll discover that all the other pieces will come together in their time. 



 

I am beginning to think she might have it right.  Now I wonder how many times I have run out of time and energy because I was so busy focusing on the borders, following the rules… and maybe I haven't noticed the people...  or maybe I’ve missed out on the beauty of some precious moments. Yikes!






I think this grandma just got schooled by a first grader.


Hopefully I’m not too old to learn new things.


I really do want to focus on the people and notice the beauty more than I worry about the edges and the details.








By the way...

When we use our own photos as puzzles, it is fun to watch her find her own face or family members...  even as I enjoy the memories of those special moments.


6 comments:

  1. Love this Kaye, especially because you were able to let go and let her lead. How beautiful for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking time to comment. I'm really glad I was able to see the lesson(s).

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this so much! Thanks for sharing Kaye - Deanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the lesson here. It's so easy to miss the most important parts. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete