Monday, January 30, 2023

The lights and delights of winter…

Poinsettias and twinkly lights and snowmen aren’t just for Christmas anymore.  The Christmas village on the mantle has transitioned into a winter village casting its alpenglow on my morning ritual of sitting in the pre-dawn stillness.

The red and green storage bins no longer contain only Christmas decorations.  They have organized themselves into a seasonal system where some of them still carry the Christmas baubles and stockings and the heirloom nativity scene… while others now hold space for all kinds of other winter decor like poinsettias, snowmen, the Alpine village, and any number of lights and candles.


This paradigm shift has offered a chance to pause…

To sit with tiny pinpricks of light in the pre-dawn quiet…

To ponder the mysteries of darkness and silence...


I have come to cherish these quiet winter moments.

I am no longer in such a hurry for the seasons to move faster.

I can find things to celebrate in each one.



No comments:

Post a Comment