Thursday, January 11, 2024

Track chairs

"Track chairs fundraising goal has been reached."

...


This headline landed in my inbox this morning.  I had noticed earlier that the Michigan DNR was trying to raise funds for these innovative "vehicles."  Today's article includes this update.

"An effort to make outdoor recreation in Michigan more accessible for everyone continues to gain steam!  The DNR recently announced it has reached its funding goal of nearly a half-million dollars to purchase track chairs for a growing number of state parks and trails.

"Track chairs are off-road, electronic chairs that can easily handle trails, snow, sand and even up to 8 inches of water, allowing users to explore areas of the parks that traditional wheelchairs might not reach."

I’m excited that such things have been invented and that people have raised funds to place them in at least 15 locations across Michigan.


But I’m not just excited. I am also feeling thankful - possibly because I’ve had enough episodes of limited mobility in my lifetime to make me grateful that such innovations are available.  


And…  There may be another reason for my gratitude.  I think it has something to do with things that I keep noticing in our world - like a pervasive lack of care and compassion for others - particularly for those with any kind of “handicap” or "difference". My heart hurts when I see those in power treat those beneath them as lower-class citizens.  Such cold-hearted harassment causes me pain - as well as deep fear for our future.  


Of course, it’s not just the arrogant politicians who trigger such sadness and fear. I mean, we the people need not grant them power.  And yet, we do.  Evidently enough people are enamored by the cruel and condescending rhetoric to actually vote them into positions of power. And so I fret about the sad state of affairs - about the little guys and the less-powerful and the underprivileged - and about this feeling that so many people don’t care.


But now this.  Over 300 people in the state of Michigan have raised nearly half a million dollars for this one project - and that blesses my little heart.  I know that there are many, many others who are kind and compassionate and generous.  I'm grateful for a new positive perspective that gives me hope as I celebrate this little tidbit of good news. 

No comments:

Post a Comment