Sunday, December 23, 2012

Bad news on the eve of Christmas Eve

"How are you feeling, Kaye?"
So asks Facebook, "What's happening, Kaye?"
"How's it going, Kaye?"

Well, Facebook, let me tell you!
Ready?

...

It was nine years ago today that I got the phone call.
"I'm afraid it is bad news. Yes, it is cancer."
*gulp*
Yep, two days before Christmas!

So the journey continued with even more medical appointments, more testing, more poking and prodding, more surgeries, more decisions, then on to chemotherapy and radiation. Eventually we settled into the semi-annual and then the annual check-up routine, only to discover a recurrence. More consultations, more decisions, more surgeries, more tears...
And then eventually back to the annual check-up pattern.

...

Well, now that has been six and a half years now - since last treatment.
Six and half years cancer-free.
Yippee!!!

So, Facebook, how do I feel?
I feel great, thank you.
Not only that, but I feel pretty good about feeling good.
Thanks for asking!

...

How are YOU feeling, my friend?
What's happening?
How is it going?
Does the holiday season feel less than perfect?
I hope you can someday look back on this day and be thankful for all you have made it through.



No comments:

Post a Comment