Thursday, February 14, 2013

Portrait: Coco

Coco - manager, host, helper, fixer, all-around answer man


...

When we arrived at the cove, Coco was not here. However, by the time we had our bags carried into the house, there he was - concerned about our welfare because he had not received the expected phone call from us. He immediately welcomed us by making sure we had what we needed - even going out to get us a big bottle of drinking water.

Our landlord had told us about Coco, the manager at the cove - that he would take care of us - and that is certainly true. He is an amazing guy - always quick to help us out with pretty much anything. We need water... No problem; he gets us water. The bathroom sink drain needs to be adjusted. No problem, he adjusts it quickly.

He introduces us to his wife, Becky. Would we like her to cook for us? No problem, she can cook fish or lobster or whatever we want. What time? No problem.

We ask where we can get charcoal for the grill out by the pool and what to ask for. He tells us the answers, but says "No problem; I can get it for you down the beach. What time you want?"

I try to buy clothesline at the colmado, but they don't have it so I ask him where I can buy it. No problem - he might have some at his house. Sure enough; next thing I know he is out in the yard tying rope between palm trees for us to dry our clothes. He asks about "la maquina" and I reply that I assume it works but it doesn't make sense to me to use a clothes dryer when sunshine & warm breeze are in such abundant supply. He seems to agree with that sentiment, but then again he seems to specialize in being agreeable.

We ask which cell phone service works out here. He tells us which one is best and offers to take Bob on the back of his "moto" to Samana to get one. No problem. We wait until we are in Samana and manage to buy a cell phone on our own, but then we need a little help to get it working. No problem. Coco is glad to help us - except that I had the lady at the phone company program it for English - so Coco is stumped. No problem. I figure out how to change it back to Spanish for him - and then he helps me figure out how to make calls. We manage to buy a new card with more minutes for the phone, but we need Coco to help us activate it. No problem. He does it easily and then carefully explains it for next time.

How nice to have a "no problem" guy at your service! Bob says there should be a "no problem" guy to call on everywhere you go in the world. Do you have a "no problem" guy in your life?

By the way, Coco and Becky are also really good dancers! AND it turns out that their son is a good worker, too, cheerfully washing our rental car before we left.





2 comments: