Wonderings on diverse topics as my mind wanders from one to another
Sunday, June 2, 2013
No use for adventures!
"I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it's very difficult to find anyone."
"I should think so - in these parts! We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!"
LOL !! Dear Bilbo... all settled in his hobbit hole, satisfied and content to stay there with the things he loved (his mother's dishes and doilies, his books, his arm-chair, his garden..) and along comes Gandalf to stir everything up.
Much like so many of us, I would imagine. We become very comfortable with our neat, tidy, orderly lives, and fail to see any reason to go on an adventure outside our own walls for the good of others. And it's a shame, really. There is so much living to be done! So many people who need a friend...someone to help them take back what the enemy has stolen from them. We have a responsibility to look beyond ourselves to the needs of others... to help them take back their freedom and joy :)
So I say along with Bilbo ... "I've signed it!! I've signed the contract!! I'm going on the adventure!!"
LOL !! Dear Bilbo... all settled in his hobbit hole, satisfied and content to stay there with the things he loved (his mother's dishes and doilies, his books, his arm-chair, his garden..) and along comes Gandalf to stir everything up.
ReplyDeleteMuch like so many of us, I would imagine. We become very comfortable with our neat, tidy, orderly lives, and fail to see any reason to go on an adventure outside our own walls for the good of others. And it's a shame, really. There is so much living to be done! So many people who need a friend...someone to help them take back what the enemy has stolen from them. We have a responsibility to look beyond ourselves to the needs of others... to help them take back their freedom and joy :)
So I say along with Bilbo ... "I've signed it!! I've signed the contract!! I'm going on the adventure!!"
You are right. It's a shame really, isn't it? But comfort is so comfortable. And neat and tidy are just so wonderfully... um, neat and tidy.
DeleteBut the adventure awaits!