I have previously read several books by Rob Bell and have now read a book about him by James K. Wellman, Jr. - entitled rob Bell and a new American Christianity. Before being asked to write about Bell, Wellman had little knowledge of him, but has done a commendable job researching and pulling together an overview of Bell's life and ministry, but particularly of his spiritual journey. However, this book chronicles not only Rob Bell's story, but also at least one slice of history of American Christendom.
Wellman tackles several of the labels that others have attempted to hang on Bell (i.e. subversive, celebrity, radical, heretic) and investigates each one - and in fact, wrote entire chapters around some of them. The result of his work strikes me as a fair and helpful summary of Rob Bell's theology and his ministry methods. I appreciate the balance between questions like "Did Bell go too far?" (p. 94) and "Did Bell go far enough?" (p. 109)
Through the years I have watched the nooma videos, I have read Bell's books, I have visited Mars Hill, I have stood in a little huddle with him as he prayed for my daughter and son-in-law who were heading off to India. Yes, I have generally appreciated Rob Bell's teaching all the while realizing that he is just a man, an imperfect person - so I don't automatically believe or agree with everything he says.
This biography provided me with a time line of Bell's journey that in several ways has paralleled my own. As I continue to wrestle with my own study of theology, it was helpful to read again Bell's interpretation of the story of salvation. He asks the question, "Does it begin with the fall?" and points out that our focus will be different depending on whether we start in the first or the third chapter of Genesis.
I appreciate Bell's lofty view of God and I tend to agree with his assessment that "the God we construct is always too small." Bell believes the gospel "is always and forever revealing itself in actions of charity whether inside or outside the church" but that it "can be distorted by dogma and obscured by those who seek to own it." (p. 154)
I have learned some things from Rob Bell. For example, I have been inspired to study carefully and to think responsibly. His illumination of the Jewish culture in Jesus' time has encouraged me to dig into what a passage really meant within the original context. I have also been challenged to believe the best about God but especially to go beyond belief and take action, to participate in the life of Jesus - in the word becoming flesh. Since reading this book, I have been reminded of those lessons - and my sense of mission has been stirred and renewed.
So do I recommend the book? To those who have been warned to stay away from Rob Bell and who are fearful of "contamination" I will not try to convince you to read it. But if you might enjoy an outside perspective of Bell's theological journey, then yes, I would recommend it as a good read.
No comments:
Post a Comment