I'm celebrating today. On this date I became a mom. Forty years ago today. I had absolutely NO idea how wonderful it would be. I couldn't have imagined what an amazing woman that little one would become. I was going to say "that tiny baby" but no, none of my babies were tiny.
On that day I could only imagine the choices she would make in her life. I had no clue what dreams she might pursue to become a baker, a detective, an architect, a singer and dancer, a thespian, a world traveler, an attorney, a social worker, a counselor, a comedian or a writer, but she did indeed become several of those.
Neither did I know that she would be a teacher, but I quickly began to discover that she had much wisdom. By the time she was in kindergarten she was teaching her sister how to read and teaching me about standing up for the underdog. Through the years she has taught me so much - about tolerance and compassion, about body image and fashion, about facing my fears and about living courageously.
Somewhere along the way during those early parenting years we came across the birth order theories which I can't remember now, but I think she was a typical first-born in at least a couple ways. Like being courageous and decisive and responsible and a natural leader and a high achiever. She certainly has been a leader and an influencer. And an exemplary friend.
Yes, I am celebrating today - that this baby girl came into my life.
But I am also celebrating something brand new today - the beginning of her new blog.
For years we have all been telling her that she really needed to write a blog because she is incredibly funny. And wise and insightful. And did I mention hilarious? Yep, she has such amazing wisdom about life and she has most definitely developed her own unique and witty way of sharing it - to put it mildly.
Speaking of putting things mildly, she doesn't do that. Mild is not exactly her style. Her writing might better be described as sassy crass - something not necessarily appreciated by grandma-types. However, this grandma (and proud mom) continues to learn from the hilarious and sage counsel of this amazing woman.
I love you, Stacy-girl, and am so honored to be your momma.
I celebrate you today - and every day.
...
By the way, her blog, Fat Aunt Sassy Sees the World, covers a wide variety of topics about self-image and wellness, about confidence and courage and about following one's dreams and maybe even discovering one's awesome potential.
Do you happen to know a woman who struggles with esteem issues, with always needing to have a man in her life, with insecurity or fear? Of course, you do. We all know women like that. You may want to check out this blog and pass it along.


No comments:
Post a Comment