Friday, April 17, 2015

the library

When I move to a new town, the first place I like to visit is the library.

Wait a minute; I haven't really ever moved before, have I?

But if I did, I would want to visit the library first thing. It is a romantic little piece of fantasy that I have had in my head about what it would be like to move to a new place.

It has been such a sweet picture in my mind that I guess I've practiced it whenever I've done pretend moves. Like those times when hubby was building a huge log house (meaning a big house from HUGE logs!) on Torch Lake. Yah, that time. I liked to go with him some weeks. Sometimes I would cook dinner for the crew. But mostly I pretended to be a writer or a researcher or a student or something. I found the local library and spent time hanging out there. Sometimes it was for a very practical reason - like internet access. Sometimes it was to skim books that I might want to read - much like I might do during a day at Barnes and Noble. And sometimes I was a writer.

Then when we lived in Southern California last winter, sure enough I headed to the library and spent time there - sometimes for the books, sometimes for the free WiFi, and sometimes to write.

And now we have actually moved away from my hometown and to a new one. So I guess we've actually moved. For real.

And sure enough, yesterday when we started to explore our new town, I headed straight for the library. By the way, we walked there; having it within walking distance most certainly adds to its appeal. I went inside and roamed the perimeter of the main room and wandered through the stacks. I noticed the easy chairs and tables and nooks spying out good writing spots. I asked about practices and procedures.

And now I can't wait to find time to go there to write. AND to take advantage of free WiFi. I'm telling myself that I'm going to spend at least one day a week there.

By the way, it is a most lovely library. Because of my fascination with libraries, I've spent time in many, many of them - among them the wonderful one at Notre Dame University, some in California, and even one in another country. I've reveled in historic old libraries as well as those in refurbished rambling houses. I've found myself sympathetic about small struggling libraries and have thoroughly enjoyed pretty much all of them. 


My new library is housed in a beautiful and wonderfully designed building. It has several cozy corners and sunny alcoves. And did I mention it is within walking distance?!? I can hardly wait to spend a day there. And then another...


I have worked in several different libraries in my lifetime. I loved being a librarian. I'm incredibly grateful that I can just go there to hang out whenever I want.

Libraries and parks are things of wonder. I am impressed to think about the people who many years ago had the foresight to make provision for parks and libraries for future generations. I want to be the kind of person who makes decisions and investments that will make the world a better place.

2 comments:

  1. Kaye the memories of my mother dropping us kids off to the library, such joy for me, the smell and the possibilities. I often dreamed of becoming a librarian and it never happened because I felt I was not smart enough sadly. I understand your joy of discovering a new one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks; I'm glad you get what I'm talking about. I'm so sorry you didn't get to seriously pursue the idea of being a librarian. and I'm sorry that you didn't feel smart enough. I probably should clarify that I never had a degree in library science but still worked in libraries.

      Delete