Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Officially old

I am officially old today. And that's okay.

The number we assign to "old" changes as we edge closer to it. But this is the official one. This is the birthday that might be most commonly associated with being officially old. At least a turning point. Retirement age.

I am officially old today. And it's not just okay; it's pretty cool.

Well, now... Feeling old is another thing. Not so fun to feel old - but then that can happen with any birthday and often in between.

But being old... Having the privilege of getting old... Now that's something to cherish - especially after going through two bouts of cancer. We joke about how getting old is better than the alternative - of not getting old.

Yep, it is good to have a sense of humor about this aging thing. But I'm dead serious in my sense of gratitude to be here. To be at this moment in my life. To be able to live this new adventure with my dear man. To have the freedom to move about and be near our kids and grandkids. To be mobile. To travel. To explore more of the world and to live in different places. To try new things.

What a privilege! May the occasional stiff joints serve to remind me to be grateful for the mobility I do have and to take advantage of it. And may I celebrate every moment of this new year.

Yep, I am officially old today. And loving it!!!

1 comment:

  1. A BIG HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you Kaye may the sun shine and you have the perfect day. You are never too old to be grateful for being here. Blessings my friend.

    ReplyDelete