The recent racial tension in our culture has been more than a little upsetting to me. It makes me very sad and it scares me. I certainly don't have the answers, but I wish somebody did because I sure would love to see things get better. Yes, I know there are no simple answers to such complex issues.
On the other hand, I can't help wondering if there are some "simple steps" that each of us could do to make things better in our own corner of the world. Things like kindness and respect and treating others the way we would want to be treated. Of course, we need to start by learning to understand what life must be like in the shoes of the "other."
People don't like to be labeled as racist - even when their attitudes and actions seem to betray their racism. I get that. I sure don't want to be racist and yet I am aware that there are traces of racism within me. I'm guessing that would be true for most of us - so why would we not admit it?
A young friend of mine has done just that. Today on Facebook he "confessed" a bit of racism that he spotted within himself. Daniel describes sitting in the dentist chair when "...my dentist, a young black man, walked in, and I immediately felt nervous. I so quickly had (unspoken) concerns about his credentials and his ability to do this work effectively."
Daniel "thankfully realized his foolishness" and reports that of course the doctor was professional and that the procedure was quick and painless. "While I'm somewhat ashamed to admit my prejudice, I think its important that we acknowledge these moments so that we can grow from them. As long as we are living in a society that tells us that black people consistently and distinctly inferior to whites, we are going to have racism seeping into our minds. We need to be diligent in rooting it out and confessing it."
I can learn from wise friends like Daniel. I hope to follow his example of honesty.
How about you?
What steps can you take to make the world a better place?

No comments:
Post a Comment