Friday, February 19, 2016

Forget

Set the timer for five minutes and type.
No editing. Just type.
Today's word: Forget

Ready. GO.

...

I tend to forget things. 
Important things. 
Not just the usual things that one might expect as signs of aging.
Nope. I’ve been doing this for a long time.

Important things.
Like decisions I’ve made.
Priorities I have settled on.
Goals that I want to reach.
Disciplines that I want to incorporate in my life.

I get all excited about them.
Determined.
They are important and I want to do them.

But then I don’t.
Why?
Because I forget.

I don't just forget to DO it.
I even forget what it WAS.

And then I feel silly.
So I ask my man…
Do you remember that big decision I made?
That big thing that I wanted to do?
To incorporate in my life?

I remember there was something that I felt very passionate about.
That I was going to do!
Once a day - or twice a week.  Or something.
But now I can’t remember what it was.

How can I forget something so important?
Something that I really thought I wanted to do.
How can I forget that?

Maybe the better question is: How can I remember?

...

STOP

...

Perhaps I should explain that yes, I HAVE found some good methods for remembering the things that are important to me. In fact, I seem to always be improving my systems.

I just didn't happen to talk about that in my five minutes of writing above.
I guess that was a lament about the tendency that keeps popping up.





4 comments:

  1. Hi Kaye. I'm visiting from the five-minute-friday link up. As I read your post it made me think about things I've intended to do or make a priority in my life and neglected to do so. Sometimes life itself gets in the way and sometimes the goals, dreams and plans are not what God has in mind for us.
    Now I try to remember to keep a written record of such things! That's where journalling or keeping a diary can come in handy. And I've even written about life goals on my blog, so there they are in black and white to remind me when I forget about them. I hope and pray you'll be able to discern what is truly important for you to chase after or seek to discover as you plan for days to come. Bless you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Joy.
      Don't I know you from Tribe Writers?
      Thanks for stopping over and for taking time to leave a comment.
      Yes, I do some of those same things and am always finding ways to tweak my systems to make them work better.

      I kinda' left this post unresolved, didn't I? I didn't tie it all together neatly with a bow - or some kind of conclusion. Guess that takes more than five minutes.

      But yes, thank you for the good ideas. They serve as timely reminders for me. Hah! Reminders. There we go!

      Delete
  2. Kaye,
    You're a blogger after my own heart. :-) I most certainly do the exact same things. I'm really bad about saying aloud what a bad memory I have so now my 16-yr old says the same thing about himself to try to get out of stuff. Oops.
    Aren't you thankful for God's new mercies every morning? I knows I sure am.

    Lynette
    ~#89 on linkup this wk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and especially thanks for taking the time to comment. I just jumped over to yours as well. FMF sure is good for spreading around the encouragement, isn't it?

      Delete