Sometimes I participate in the Five-Minute Friday event - where they give us a word and we write about that word for five minutes. No editing nor back-tracking. Just set the timer and write for five minutes.
Well, I tried to do that this morning, but it didn’t go so well.
The words is: NEWS.
My mind immediately added the adjective “bad” before the word.
I couldn’t help but think of some of the bad news we’ve heard this week.
And no, I’m not referring to the horrific divisive political circus that is constantly flooding the airways. That’s certainly bad news and it seems that nearly everyone is concerned and sick and tired of it.
But I was thinking specifically of cancer news that a couple friends are dealing with.
The kind of news that we fear but then it surprises us when it rears its ugly head - and terrifies us yet again.
The kind of news that we don’t want to hear.
The kind of news that leaves us wondering how to respond.
The kind of news that makes us cry tears of anger and tears of sadness all mingled together.
The kind of news that affects us more personally than any political primary or debate ever will.
…
So I tried to write.
I did write for five minutes.
I did crank out a few words, but I couldn’t publish them.
They were too careless.
Too frivolous. Too inconsequential.
Unthinking, unfeeling
There was no resolution.
Too frivolous. Too inconsequential.
Unthinking, unfeeling
There was no resolution.
No conclusion.
No tying up the loose ends to turn it into a nice inspirational piece.
Nope.
There was just the news and the reality that news isn’t always good.
The reminder that we are not in control as much as we wish.
That there are things we simply can’t fix. We can’t make it all better.
I don’t like that.
I don’t like it one bit.
I want answers.
I want resolution.
I want happy endings - or maybe an exciting “to be continued.”
But what are we to do with bad news?
The kind we can’t fix - no matter how hard we try? Or how hard we cry…
I can’t seem to come up with answers.
I guess there will always be bad news and good news and some days it seems like the bad news far outweighs the good. Just not fair!
The only teeny thing I can think of is to maybe find ways to be the good news for somebody somewhere.
I don’t have a nice numbered list of ways to do that.
Of creative suggestions to offer.
I can't seem to think of any.
But I bet you can.
I bet most of you who read this will be able to think of at least one thing you could do.
Maybe just a small thing, but some way to be good news where it is desperately needed.
Maybe just a small thing, but some way to be good news where it is desperately needed.
And maybe you could tell about your idea in the comments below where it could inspire someone else.
Probably we can't save the world but maybe we can tip the scales at least a teeny bit.
Probably we can't save the world but maybe we can tip the scales at least a teeny bit.
How about it?
Who’s in?
Good news, anyone?

No comments:
Post a Comment