Tuesday, March 20, 2018

So many helpers

Pretty much any day is a good day to remember bits of neighborly wisdom from Mister Rogers, but maybe especially on his birthday.

“When I was a boy
and I would see scary things in the news,
my mother would say to me,
“Look for the helpers.
You will always find people who are helping.”
To this day, especially in times of “disaster,”
I remember my mother’s words
and I am always comforted
by realizing that there are still so many helpers
so many caring people in this world.” 

-Fred “Mister” Rogers

On this his 90th birthday and the 50th anniversary of his neighborhood, I am grateful for this bit of perspective.  In fact, it has only been in recent years that I've learned enough about him to become a fan of his persona and his philosophy. While this little tidbit was meant by his mother to comfort a child, I have to admit it has helped me in these last few years of "scary things on the news."

It comforts me to know there are still so many helpers.
So many caring people in this world.

But it also challenges me to be one of them.
To not give up, but to keep caring and keep helping.


No comments:

Post a Comment