Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Fireworks with friends

Fourth of July surprise

I just realized some things...

Sitting in a comfy lawn chair in my own backyard* with a perfect view of the fireworks exploding over the river...  I realized that this was one of the most comfortable and convenient settings from which I have witnessed a fireworks show.  

Great American values... comfort and convenience.

I also thought back over the years and realized that we didn’t often attend fireworks shows through much of my life.  Maybe it was too much bother to pack up chairs and blankets and load everybody into the van to drive to town and try to find a spot in a crowded park amongst the throng.

But now… here we are living in a city where the fireworks are launched less than half-a-mile from our house.  How cool is that?!?  A time to celebrate America and a time to celebrate new friendships.

And then I realized something else.

I realized that this might be the first time I had celebrated the Fourth of July with such a diverse collection of nationalities.  There we were gathered with representatives from several regions of the world - even though we had not planned it that way. I mean... we DID move here to be near Internationals and we DO often host events for them, but not this time.  This was just an informal gathering of new friends - who just happen to represent a bunch of other countries - like Brazil, Canada, Tonga, Nepal, India, Ecuador, Germany, England, Ireland, Mexico...  Sure enough; we are all from somewhere else.

Now there's another great American value: diversity!

It was about 5 generations back that my ancestors sailed across the ocean and came through Canada to Michigan and here we are - celebrating America’s independence with first and second generation immigrants.

Feeling blessed I am.
So very blessed.
In so many ways.
And so much wanting to bless others.


...

* Disclaimer: Well, ALMOST in my own back yard.  My chair was actually a few feet over the line onto our wonderful and generous neighbor's property.


No comments:

Post a Comment