I really don't understand why you spend money on that.
I just don't understand why you can't see things my way.
I guess we just can't communicate anymore.
I give up!
Conversation over!
...
This sounds SO familiar.
It can happen between:
- Friends
- Spouses, siblings
- Parents and offspring
- Roommates or classmates
- Friends, neighbors
- Co-workers, team members
- People from different backgrounds and upbringing
- Different personalities
Triggers might be:
- Politics
- Toothpaste tubes
- Toilet seat up or down
- Whose turn it is to take out the garbage
- Which way is the right way
...
How about people from different languages or cultures?
Locals and foreigners
Expats, International student, immigrants
We might expect misunderstanding there.
Frustration, confusion, impatience, exhaustion
It would not be surprising to hear one of our students say, "I just don't understand so I think I'll quit trying."
But nope.
That's not what I hear.
Instead I mostly hear the opposite.
"I don't understand so I guess I need to try harder."
BECAUSE I don't understand, I must put forth greater effort.
...
Misunderstanding.
Of course.
I may have misunderstood...
...
Humility, deference, respect
Teachability
...
Might there be a lesson here for me?
Could be.
I have much to learn from my new friends who have to work very hard at understanding. I'm grateful for their diligent example.
...
Seek first to understand
before seeking to be understood.
- Stephen Covey

No comments:
Post a Comment