Thursday, August 2, 2018

Thankful Thursday: thankful for... ME?

I started this thankful Thursday practice many, many years ago as a way to remind myself to be grateful. To stop and notice the good stuff. It has been an excellent exercise.  For awhile, I tried to to it regularly because it was so beneficial.  These days I'm not very legalistic about it - because it has already worked its magic!  

My perspective has gradually shifted.
I am so grateful for so many things. 

My man, who was born on this date, tops my list today because he is an integral part of so much of what is good about my life.  
- Our kids & grandkids
- Our life together and all of our adventures
- Our sense of mission and teamwork
- The encouragement he gives me

All amazing stuff.
But that’s not all.  There is more.

I have even come to a place where I can be thankful about some of the wonderful things about ME... and my personality and my worth.  

Whew!  That feels weird to say and until recently would have been a foreign concept.  I have made massive strides in the way I feel about myself.  
Self-love.  Wow.  
Self-care.  
Self-nurture.
Treating myself with kindness and respect.
…and with compassion.

I’m not there yet.  
Not perfect by a long shot.
I still get down on myself.
And I still complain and grumble...
But I’m getting better - at both loving myself AND being grateful.  
Lots healthier these days...


Funny thing.
A long time ago, one of my favorite people famously said to love my neighbor as myself.  For a lot of years, I tried hard to do that.

Now that I am learning how to love myself, it seems like it’s easier to love my neighbors. Like it comes more naturally.
Imagine that.
Funny how that works.

Or maybe it’s just that I happen to have such lovable neighbors!

At any rate, I am so very thankful on this Thursday.



No comments:

Post a Comment