Thursday, September 20, 2018

On this day, snippets of life

Yep, I really like FB memories - not only because they remind me of places we’ve been and people we’ve seen, but also of thoughts that we have pondered.  Things that have entertained me, things that have upset me and things that have motivated me.

This date, September 20, has provided a variety of some such people, places, events and thoughts through the years.  

The thoughts expressed here are not necessarily my own but obviously have gotten my attention through the years and have caused me to ponder - and hopefully to become a wiser person for the effort.

Here we go...
... on this day


2009

I am thoroughly enjoying the last day of summer. Mmmm......... Everything is beautiful.


2012

Thankful Thursday:
I am feeling thankful that I got to see my grandkids today for a bit.
AND I get to see ALL THREE daughters this weekend!!!



2013
If I had a year…
Anne Lamott:  Someone asked me the other day how my life would change if I only had two weeks to live. I said I would definitely eat a lot more creme brûlée, and not floss at all. But I don't think it's the right question.

The better question is, What would you change about your life if you had a year or so to live? Of course you would have to floss, or you would become repellant with your oyster-y breath; and you'd probably have to limit yourself to one creme brûlée (or two) a day. But would you write? Would you exercise? 

I would not write for publication, that's for sure. Stitches, the handbook on meaning, hope, repair, will be my 15th book. It's a little unseemly to keep cranking them out. It's unnecessary for me to keep publishing. Besides, I always say the same things: you are loved and chosen, a unique, lovely, wild and slightly screwed up creation. Try to get a little writing done every day--it will help you know and forgive yourself, which is why we are here. Earth is forgiveness school. 
...
And yes, I would still exercise. I'd walk the dogs and take myself on a hike in the hills, in the woods and around town, because that is where I most directly experience the divine, in the glories of nature, in breezes, breath and birdsong. I'm amazed on every single walk. Maybe that makes me a simpleton, but Simpletonian principles would be the way I'd want to live my last year.
...
So if you want to have happy, loving feelings, do loving things. That's the secret of life, whether you are at all Jesusy or not. Be of service. Get people water. Clean up the litter on your block, even though there will be more tomorrow. 
...
So that's how I would live, starting right now, if this were Day One; which it is.


2015
Referring to view from our bedroom window - just below the chimney



What an awesome view. The SS Badger is heading out across Lake Michigan past a row of four sailboats as a speed boat zips past all of them. There are several fishing boats spread across the horizon as well.






Photo cred:  Bob Sims at SimsShotsPhotography.zenfolio.com



The storms have passed and left us with gorgeous weather around the dunes and the lighthouse. Our 2-week tour of duty is about half done.









2016

Bob Goff:  Don't let being "right" talk you out of being kind.


Ian North:  What degree of racist violence will break our national blindness, bring us to grief, and compel us to acknowledge that black lives matter? 


2017

Winnie-the-pooh:  How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.


Rich Mullins has been gone 20 years but his words live on:  If I want to identify fully with J.C…. the best way I can do that is to identify w/ the poor. This will go against the teaching of a lot of the popular Evangelical preachers, but they’re just wrong. They’re not bad; they’re just wrong.

Christianity is not about building an absolutely secure little niche in the world where you can life with your perfect little wife and your perfect little children in your beautiful little house where you have no gays or minority groups anywhere near you.
Christianity is about learning to love like Jesus loved. 
And Jesus loved the poor and the broken.

...


And there we have it.  
A day's worth of wisdom from some of my favorite modern-day prophets.
And some lovely scenery and fun memories, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment