I used to be an avid reader.
I wrote here of my old reading habits that had slowly disappeared.
I wrote here of my old reading habits that had slowly disappeared.
Don't get me wrong; I still loved books and bookstores.
I still enjoyed hanging out in libraries.
I still wished for more bookshelves to hold all the books I have.
I was still buying more books, but I wasn’t reading them.
Oh, I would start a new book, but then struggle to finish it.
This made me sad.
Gradually I’ve been finding my way back.
I have chosen to make space to honor reading.
I even spent big bucks on my very own reading chair - because I had discovered that I did not have a comfortable reading spot and I realized how important it was.
Awhile ago I heard someone describe how library books were helping her to read more. About how the deadline helped to motivate her to actually read them. Made sense to me so I did the same.
I've been compiling a list of books I might want to read.
I spent a couple hours in the library and carefully selected four books to check out.
Sure enough I started reading those books. I finished one in a few days. Then I started another. Actually I started two of the others, but life got busy and I didn’t get very far very fast. I ended up renewing them by phone - and then again... EXCEPT that you can’t renew them a second time.
So… I looked through them - and took notes of which ones I may want to check out again. Interestingly enough, I realized that those two I was in the middle of… I realized that I don’t need to finish them.
That’s pretty cool.
Somewhere along my journey I had learned this astonishing lesson - that I don’t have to finish every book that I start. *gasp* I can pause and realize “Nope, this is not necessarily the best use of my time.” There are other books I’d rather read. Other ways to invest my time.
...
So is the library method helping me?
I think so.
Yes, the due date is a good motivator to keep turning those pages.
But the deadline also forces me to stop and evaluate whether I want to continue.
It helps me to be more decisive - something I can always use help with!
And then of course, there is the added benefit that I did not waste money on a book that I don’t need or really want.
…
Sure enough; I think I’m getting it back - that old love for reading.
For reading real books.
I find myself curled up with a good book in my giant comfy cozy reading chair.
Or I notice that I grab my book to read a page or two while waiting for somebody or something.
Yay!!!
I think it’s working.
I’m finding her again.
That old avid reader that I used to be.
Yippee!
No comments:
Post a Comment