The excerpt below from Micah Murray kinda' reminds me of something I used to hear in my church days - about living in the opposite spirit.
- That I don't have to focus on the things that are wrong around me - either to complain about them or to join in the bad attitude.
- That instead I could respond with the opposite spirit.
I guess it also reminds me of an ancient prayer of that famous guy:
Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is offense, let me bring pardon.
Where there is discord, let me bring union.
- St. Francis, Make me an instrument of peace
Or the quote from that other famous guy:
You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
- Ghandi
Yep.
And now the aforementioned excerpt from Micah Murray - only slightly redacted:
And now the aforementioned excerpt from Micah Murray - only slightly redacted:
And what is the opposite of (... )?
- Loving my neighbor.
- Tearing down walls.
- Reading books.
- Listening to the voices of the marginalized.
- Looking for opportunities to show extravagant generosity.
- Working to undo oppressive systems of racism and patriarchy (starting with me).
- Saying beautiful words that bring hope, joy, and peace to those who hear them.
- Using proper spelling and punctuation.
- And most of all, being kind.
That should keep me busy for the next three years or so.

No comments:
Post a Comment