Friday, March 22, 2019

World Poetry Day


Sometimes I show up late.

I was late to appreciate Michael Jackson and his incredible talent. 
Oh, I knew he was good but I didn't know how good.
I was also late to get to know Prince and his music.
… and other musicians.
… and writers.
I was late getting acquainted with Maya Angelou and her writings - but now I am getting started.

And Mary Oliver...
I had noticed things that people had written about her through the years.  Mostly things that they were quoting of hers.

I think the first was that mighty inspiring question:
What is it you plan to do
with your wild and precious life?
And then this winter she died - and I began to discover more of her words.
Late again, but not too late to start.

I came late to poetry and poets...
I had never really spent time with poetry, but I have begun - thanks to my new friend, Sarah*.  I didn't know how cool poetry could be.  I want to learn more.

I have even dared to wonder if maybe I could write a bit of poetry.  I might like to dabble - whatever that means.
My new friend encourages me to try.
But I’m so late to the game.
I have much to learn.

And the learning is such fun.
A whole new world for me.
And so I read and study and learn and enjoy.


Poetry is when
an emotion has found its thought
and the thought has found words.
- Robert Frost


I just discovered that today is World Poetry Day.
That made me happy.
Like an official day.  Worldwide.  How cool.
But nope; it was really yesterday.
Late again.
Oh, well.

...

How about you?
Would you like to learn to write poetry?
My friend, Sarah, is teaching an online course this spring, Introduction to the Prose Poem.  She is a really good writing teacher, drawing out things to write that I didn't know were in there.


No comments:

Post a Comment