(I wrote this piece in 2011, as this global event marked 100 years of celebration.)
...
International Women's Day is observed on this date every year as the focal point of the ongoing struggle and increasing successes of women worldwide for DIGNITY, EQUALITY, SAFETY, and SECURITY.
...
International Women's Day is observed on this date every year as the focal point of the ongoing struggle and increasing successes of women worldwide for DIGNITY, EQUALITY, SAFETY, and SECURITY.
The name - International Women's Day - usually makes me think of several different things and causes me to feel grateful for many different women.
- Something about the wording always makes me think of "international women." I am privileged to have many of them in my life - women from different countries, women who care about those from other countries, women who invest their lives for people around the world.
- I also think of women who work tirelessly in serving other people and who make a difference in the world - and who make a difference in MY world.
- Then there are the women who have set examples for the rest of us in loosening gender restrictions.
- There are LOTS of women I think of that I appreciate for various reasons and who have touched my life in different ways.
The official reason for International Women's Day is to celebrate the economic, political, and social achievements of women past, present, and future. That future part grabs my heart - when I think of the conditions faced by women around the world today that are unbelievably getting even worse. I've faced enough obstacles and discouraging words as a woman to have had my heart tenderized a bit, but what I've experienced is nothing compared to what other women deal with all the time.
Poverty is probably the most obvious problem for women here and abroad. Economic disparity is one of the most blatant crimes against women, but that's perhaps just the tip of the iceberg. Recently we've been reminded of the sexual harassment and assault that women face regularly and where girls and women are forced into slavery and suffer unimaginable horrors - yes, even here in America.
Now that I am a grandma, I wonder what the world will be like for my grand-daughter as she grows up. We will let her know that she has great value but what messages will she receive to the contrary? Will she live to see things get better for women? I cautiously hope that she will see equality for women on more and more levels in their lifetimes.
There are things you and I can do to improve the plight of women - across the street and around the world. Sometimes I just need to be reminded to look for those opportunities. Let's not forget the ongoing struggle... of women worldwide for DIGNITY, EQUALITY, SAFETY, and SECURITY.
And let me say again how grateful I am for the mighty women in my life!!!



No comments:
Post a Comment