Thursday, February 28, 2019

Beaches


I love beaches.
I’ve found some wonderful beaches in my lifetime.
I cherish my memories (and my photos!) of them.

After traveling the last few years and living on the road for a couple of those, I am sometimes asked to name my favorite place.  That’s SO tough to do because there are so many factors that contribute to my feelings about a place.  

The same is true for beaches.
I do have some favorite beaches - and for various reasons.
There are the most beautiful beaches - picturesque beaches and idyllic beaches. There are also beaches that are amazing to live on - for a day or a week or longer. AND there are beaches for walking - which might be my very favorite things about beaches.  Said another way, beach-walking is one of my favorite things to do.

When trying to entice me to go south for the winter, my man did an amazing job of finding beaches for me to walk.  So I am celebrating the last day of February by remembering some of them.


My nominations for most beautiful beaches:

- Sturgeon Bay, Bliss, Michigan
- Playa Rincon, Samana, Dominican Republic
- Isla Vista, Santa Barbara, California

Beach camping:

Port Crescent State Park, Port Austin, Michigan - has become a favorite camping destination in the early autumn when the campground is empty and quiet.

Pacific Coast Highway, Seacliff, California - provides a single lane of campsites overlooking the ocean.  What a great spot!!!  And what a way to begin a new adventure!



Living at the beach:

- The Cove, El Frances, Samana, D.R.
- Dauphin Island, Alabama 
- Emerald Isle, North Carolina
- St. Augustine, Florida
- Big Sable Point Lighthouse, Ludington, Michigan - work and live in the keepers' quarters for 2 weeks




Relaxing on the beach:

The Cove

La Playita

Las Galeras

Emerald Isle


Beach-walking:

Sturgeon Bay
Port Crescent State Park - campground and day use park
Dauphin Island and Emerald Isle - sunrise beach walks

Las Galeras

Playa Rincon
           Photo credit to Bob Sims and Stacy Brown for some of these shots.


No comments:

Post a Comment