Friday, May 31, 2019

A wise monk on dealing with crap


Sometimes I get so upset about injustice or corruption or lack of enforcement... that I catch myself sputtering about what should be done.  Or I get so mired in the hopelessness… I wonder if we will EVER be able to fix our political system… or whatever it is that makes life feel so unfair… 

But then someone reminds me to focus on what I CAN do instead of what I can’t.  Like my friend, an Episcopalian monk, who  recently admitted his own brand of sputtering... but he didn’t stay stuck there. Instead he chose to do something about it. But I’ll let him describe his scenario...

Dealing with life’s crap. Literally.
My commute to work consists of two bus rides, the first of which is 1.5 miles long. So, on nice days (and if I get up earlier), I walk it. It’s a really nice way to begin the day and, at my age, if I can walk a mile-and-a-half, I should do it while I can. 

The thing is, lots of folks in my neighborhood have dogs and inevitably, there will be those who don’t pick up after their pooches. I think that’s just about the most inconsiderate thing someone could do. I’ve stepped in it at night and tracked in on my carpet before. I think about frail, elderly folks who may be using walkers or wheel chairs and how distressing it would be for them to smoosh through it. 

For the longest time, I’ve inwardly raged at these pet owners. I’ve envisioned myself seeing someone not picking it up and cursing them out, or worse, throwing it at them. I’ve imagined myself as mayor and implementing a $10,000 fine or confiscation of their dog for not picking it up. Or making it illegal to own a dog in Chicago altogether. I’ve carried a LOT of resentment.

I’ve found a solution, though. Now, on my morning walks I carry a plastic bag. When I see the offending dog doot (and I DO), I simply pick it up and toss it in the grass or a trash can if it’s nearby. Then, I say a prayer for the dog owner, that they may be blessed and enjoy their dog. Sometimes, I do this up to three times during my walk. 

Maybe I’ve prevented someone from stepping in it. Maybe it was someone with a walker or wheel chair. Whatever the case, I’m no longer filled with resentment, but rather with peace. It sure makes a difference in MY well-being. 

And maybe, just maybe, I’ve made up for some of the crap I’ve left in this world. Lord knows I have.

Thank you, my friend.  I am so inspired by this. What a great example of taking power over our attitude and even of the annoyance - when possible!

I’m pleased to report that some of that kind of turn-around has begun to take place in our neighborhood.  We are getting together and brainstorming about what we CAN do - rather than sputtering about how unfair it is that somebody isn’t doing their job.


No comments:

Post a Comment