Saturday, June 29, 2019

The centennial


Celebrating the centennial of my dad’s birth

He’s been gone 23 years but I really wanted to do something special this year to celebrate.
A hundred years is a big deal
Significant
Worth celebrating
Lots of fanfare

How do you celebrate a centennial?
A parade comes to mind
A huge event - with hundreds of people in attendance
Lots of hoopla

I didn’t know how to make any of that happen 
... so I would write a book about him.
A biography
A best-seller
Well, maybe not…

But loads of people loved my dad and some of them MIGHT want to read it.
... and maybe even buy their own copy.  
Or not.

I worked on it for a long time.
But it didn't turn out quite the way I hoped.

Yep, I tend to get big ideas.
My imagination can go a little crazy with wild ideas.
I’m not always so good at bringing them to life.
So I kept reminding myself to be practical.
And I WAS diligent about working on the various steps.

I kept plodding
Doing what I could
Gathering notes and ideas
Sorting through hundreds of photos

And I DID produce a book.
Just not the book that I hoped for.
I was planning a book with hundreds of pages and a few photos here and there.
I ended up with a photo book with a few lines of text here and there.
I did proclaim a centennial month.
And I did produce my own little parade - of photos - on my Facebook page.

But it didn’t feel like enough.
It was underwhelming.
No fanfare, no hoopla.
No parade
No huge event
A chintzy celebration for a great life.
I was tempted to be a teeny bit sad.

So then I asked myself what a centennial is for anyway.
Who is it for?
I’m not sure.
I just know that I wanted to honor this man.
So I tried…

I tried to do more than I could.
And then I did what I knew to do.
What I had the energy and resources to accomplish.
He would not ask more of me.
He might have commented on my tendency to attempt too much.
Again.
He might have asked me what I am learning from this.
Again.


He also attempted great things.
But he knew enough to take small steps.
That’s how he accomplished the great things he did.
Little by little.
One thing at a time.

And that’s what I ended up doing.
I was willing to tweak my goals to make them more practical.
I need not be disappointed in myself.
I succeeded in doing what I could to honor my dad.
He would be proud of me and I can be proud of myself.

Besides he wouldn't have wanted a lot of hoopla.

No comments:

Post a Comment