Friday, January 10, 2020

2020: seeing more clearly

I don’t do resolutions.
I do have hopes and dreams.

Evidently some people still make resolutions, but most do not fulfill them.  
Lately I've seen the idea of choosing a word or a phrase for the coming year and have tried it a couple times.  It seems to be about noticing what is stirring in me and what I sense to be important.  

And here it is 2020 - a time to see more clearly. 
At least three things come to mind:
  • Vision
  • Focus
  • Perspective
VISION speaks to me of the big picture.
FOCUS reminds me to choose one thing to zoom in on.
PERSPECTIVE implies that my vantage point is not the only one that matters.

I do think about my long-term vision. 
I ask myself questions from time to time.
  • What is my vision for the rest of my life?
  • My hope and dreams?
  • My direction?
  • Where do I want to be at the end of this year?
  • This decade?
  • What do I want to do?
  • Who do I want to be?
Then I need to focus.
To narrow my focus.
To zoom in on one aspect or a few specific smaller things rather than ALL the things.
I need to choose one task at a time.

But I also need perspective...  
I want to remember that each person around me probably has a different perspective than I do - and that I would be wise to listen to them and to learn from them.  Pausing to see any situation through someone else’s eyes helps me to understand things that I never could otherwise. 


So how am I doing?
  • I want to keep looking at the big picture and clarifying my vision.
  • I remind myself that perspective is dependent on vantage point.
  • But I most need to learn to focus.  My head is always full of so many things and I need to zoom in on one at a time.

I hope that 2020 is a time for me to see more clearly.

Vision... the big picture 
Get a better perspective

Focus on one detail


No comments:

Post a Comment