One of my first thoughts this morning was to ponder how to commemorate this day.
So I found myself making a commitment a few weeks ago - to learn.
I didn't even know where to start, but as soon as I began paying attention, the resources were suddenly coming at me from all directions!
So yes, today is important.
My daughter says it so well and is helping me.
Her words describe my heart - and so I am borrowing them and sharing them.
And I am joining her in honoring this day.
My first Juneteenth.
My first Juneteenth
by Stacy Brown
My heart is heavy today.
This is my first Juneteenth.
I wasn't taught about this in school.
I didn't hear about this in church.
I didn't grow up discussing this with friends.
My ignorance wasn't all my fault,
but it's all my responsibility to fix it.
Someday I'll celebrate Juneteenth,
but this year I'm starting
with humbly and solemnly honoring it:
Mourning so many horrors, of past and present,
that white washed history has swept under the rug,
acknowledging my own ignorance and bias,
and committing to doing whatever I can to do better going forward.
Today is my first Juneteenth.
It won't be my last.
Thank you, thank you, Stacy, for giving voice to my heart.But how does one honor such a momentous event?
The one instruction that keeps coming back to my mind... is to listen.
To really listen.
Listen and learn.
Read black authors
Hear black voices.
And so I am.
I have begun and I will continue.
One step at a time
One day at a time.
Starting on this day, my first Juneteenth...


No comments:
Post a Comment