Thursday, June 4, 2020

Thankful Thursday: remembering my dad

Today I’m thankful for my dad.
We lost him way too soon - 24 years ago today.
His life was too short but his legacy is huge and expansive.

  • I’m thankful for the lessons he taught and the examples he set.
  • I’m thankful for the ways I am like him - well, except that he was such a pack-rat!
  • He was a plodder and just kept working on things one step at a time - although he never did quite finish getting rid of everything from those shelves in the shed.  Drats!  I fear that as my destiny as well.


But he was kind and patient and compassionate - and so many remember him as someone who loved them.  I really want to be like that.

I’m pretty sure I got my love of words and writing from him.  I don’t know if he ever considered himself a writer, but he was definitely diligent about writing.  He researched and composed and printed a centennial history book for the church... but mostly he wrote long, loving letters to friends and family.  I lived less than a mile from him... but there were those four years when I was away at college and that one year we moved our family to the Dominican Republic.  Those years away qualified me to receive his famous chronicles in my mailbox and for that privilege I am thankful.  

Might be time to revisit my letter-writing plan.  Well, it also might be time to go find those packets of letters from him
 in my bins and boxes piled up on all those shelves!

No comments:

Post a Comment