Thursday, October 29, 2020

Thankful October

It's Thursday and I'm thankful... because I choose to be.  Well, and because my calendar reminds me...  After a cold walk, I’m thankful for my warm house.  I am also thankful for this Thankful Thursday practice - simply because it reminds me to be thankful - even when I don't automatically feel it.

’Tis true that thankfulness and gratitude do not always come automatically or easily… especially with so many awful things happening in our world.  Yes, it is easier to let those negative feelings rule the day.  Sad and scared, fearful and frustrated, depressed and discouraged.  Seems like there is so much animosity and anger… not to mention confusion and chaos. Disrespect and cruelty and injustice and heartbreak.  It can feel overwhelming.


So what can one do?

Can we change things?

Where can we start?

I honestly don’t know... sometimes.

Except that maybe I can find something to be thankful for.  

Something positive.  

Something good in the midst of the awful.

Something beautiful to temper the difficult.

Somebody amazing.

Somebody who is finding creative ways to make the world a better place.


And maybe there is some way that I can help somebody else.

Maybe there IS something I can do.

Even something small. 


So… today is Thankful Thursday.

I am thankful for the reminder.

I am thankful for the great examples I've noticed just in the last few days.

I am thankful that I found a couple things that I can do to help somebody.

I am thankful for a gloriously beautiful October.

And I’m thankful for my warm house.



No comments:

Post a Comment