Facebook memories... You know I love 'em!
January 31... through the years
2009
... Just talked to Angie! Yippee!!!
(My daughter was on the other side of the globe.)
2010
... had a great time with the kids.
(Family gathered after above daughter arrived home from India.)
2011
We got Skype working so we can call Wendi in Cairo!
(Another daughter on the other side of the world - six blocks from Tahrir Square where the Arab Spring had just erupted.)
They are staying in/near their apartment which seems safer than trying to travel anywhere. They go out every couple days for food. She didn't mention bread lines or shortages. One potential problem is not being able to access their funds with banks and ATM's closed. Which is another reason for them to stay put where they have a place already paid for.
2012
Off to the dentist...
2013
We are in Samana today - taking care of business.
(... in the Dominican Republic)
I'm sitting at the Bahia Azul while Bob hikes out on los puentes to the islands.
Just received a lovely tropical entree that should be photographed... if my photographer were here...
Cocktail de camarones - shrimp, lettuce, pineapple, etc.
So lovely! And tasty, too.
2014
I guess it never occurred to me that we might be surrounded by Spanish this winter.
(...living in Southern California for five months)
Now I just have to improve my own fluency - although we did watch a movie in Spanish the other night.
...
I'm pretty sure I would be buying donuts from next door while my clothes are in the dryer if only I had some cash money with me. ... There are SO many donut places in this town! Almost as many as the number of Mexican restaurants or Mexican markets!
2015
2016
Comfort. That's what I miss today.
And convenience.
Comfort and convenience, but mostly comfort.
Adventures are often not comfortable.
... also 2016
Bird sounds.
Lots of birds
Some loud, some soft and sweet
Chirping various tunes
Together and separately
Polyphonic music
That's what I notice today.
Bird sounds...
And just now a new sound I've never heard.
Really raucous, almost like squawking, and then long and loud.
Right in the hedge just below me!
Almost jumped out of my chair, I did!
2017
"It makes me feel all sorts of sad and angry and scared and helpless and overwhelmed."
- an exact quote from an article I just read
- also a summary of things I'm hearing from lots of people
So...
... maybe we ought to be extra kind to each other these days - whether or not we understand or agree with others' concerns.
Maybe we could even try to understand why they are upset.
But yah, at least we can be nice.
2018
"It's easy to be heavy; hard to be light."
- G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy
2019
Okay; I'll play. Why not?
How old are you? 68
Surgeries? Yep
Tattoes? Nope
Ever hit a deer? Nope
Ridden in an ambulance? Not that I can remember
Ice skated? I wish
Ridden on a motorcycle? Yes
Stayed in hospital? Yes
Last phone call? My mom
Last text from? Emergency Alert
Watched someone die? Yes
Pepsi or Coke? Not really
Favorite pie? Pecan
Favorite pizza toppings? Bacon, ham, onion, but light on the sauce, please!
Favorite season? Spring or fall
Broken bones? None
Received a ticket? No, sir
Favorite color? Blue
Sunrise or sunset? Sunrise
Favorite alcohol? I don't know yet
... also 2019
I like my town!
2020
Word of the day: sagacious
Having or showing acute mental discernment and keen practical sense; shrewd
Socrates, that sagacious Greek philosopher, believed that the easiest way to learn was by asking questions



No comments:
Post a Comment