Fifty years!
How could it be?
…
Guests could start arriving soon so we all headed inside to get cleaned up and dressed up. When I came downstairs and noticed Riley’s gold shoes I told her that this is our Golden Anniversary. “That’s what Grandpa said!” she laughed.
…
Golden Anniversary
1971 to 2021
Not sure I ever thought much about the chances of making it to 50 years.
People who celebrate Golden Anniversaries are old; right?
Maybe I didn’t often imagine myself getting old.
And suddenly here we are. I don’t feel old. Well, except for those stiff joints.
But how did we get here so quickly?
And why are we the lucky ones who get to be together this long?
Some people call it an accomplishment.
Others ask what’s the secret.
I don’t think there’s any secret.
No magic formula.
Maybe we’re just lucky.
Blessed.
I don’t know why we get to celebrate this milestone.
But I guess that’s the way with privilege. No rhyme or reason to it.
…
Eugene, one of our foreign exchange students, texted greetings from Russia. He said that they call the 50th a golden anniversary there. We told him we do here as well.
Bob’s mom gifted us with a gold plate. Well, a plate with gold trim. A family heirloom. It was given to her parents on their 50th wedding anniversary in 1962. Grandma Grody left the plate to Mom & Dad Sims who then celebrated the golden milestone in 1995. ... How cool that Mom is still alive to pass it on to us and celebrate with us. Wow. Such a thing gives one pause. We feel honored. Privileged. Blessed.
I still don’t know why we are so fortunate. So blessed.
Why us?
Why did we both survive cancer when so many friends and family members didn’t?
Maybe there is no answer.
But one thing we know.
We know that it is a gift - one that we definitely appreciate.
Cherish.
Celebrate.
We are grateful.
Because gratitude is pretty much always a good idea.
Gratitude is golden.


No comments:
Post a Comment