I got the phone call with the dreaded news twenty years ago today.
Yes, it is cancer.
Two days before Christmas.
Such a diagnosis claims instant power to freeze the frames of your life.
Fear barges into the picture.
Questions cry out.
Priorities shift.
Christmas plans fade into the shadows along with other duties and responsibilities… until slowly… we are somehow able to step out from behind the bad news and go through the motions of the celebration that continues around us. Life goes on - or so we hope.
I have no idea why I was one of the lucky ones with good outcomes in my treatment plan. No clue why I’m a survivor even while losing dear friends and family members to cancer.
Yes, I am grateful for my good fortune.
And yes, I am aware of some sense of pressure to live well.
I often think of those dear ones and wish they could still have that privilege. What a blessing to have had them in my life and to have learned valuable lessons from every one of them.
Becky
Jerry
Karin
Jodi
Karina
Ron
I think of others who have also lost dear ones to this awful disease.
And other diseases.
And reckless drivers.
And acts of war.
Sometimes I don’t know what to do with such sadness.
All I know to do is to care.
To offer kindness and compassion.

No comments:
Post a Comment