Monday, June 30, 2025

How would my dad treat this person?

I am heartbroken these days by the scary things happening to so many people in our world.  I so often wonder what I can do to help… and feel like I can’t do enough.


Today is my dad’s birthdate so I’ve been thinking about him and reading through some things people have said about him - like the former neighbor who said “this world needs more Lee D’Arcy’s” - which reminded me that we can continue his legacy.  The things we saw in him are things that the world needs.  Those things give us an example we can continue.  


I paused to remember some of the comments I often hear repeated about him:

  • He always took time to ask how we were doing
  • He listened to what mattered to us
  • He might disagree with someone but still love them
  • He always made me feel special


Sure enough, the tactics my dad practiced could be helpful to the people I know who are struggling or fearful about the future.  Making someone feel special or listened to is definitely a good place to start.


So now I want to read some of these other things I’ve collected about him…

No comments:

Post a Comment