Thursday, March 12, 2026

Beware Time Change Thursday

’Tis the Thursday after time change…

Remember how our friend Nick, the elementary school principal, told us about the infamous Thursday after time change? About how it was the busiest day of the year with kids being sent to the principal’s office?


Make that the busiest TWO DAYS of the year - once in the spring and once in the fall. He said it didn’t seem to matter whether we were springing forward or falling back. Both ways it was disruptive.  And well documented.


As I think about that disruptive biannual tradition once again, my heart goes out to the teachers and principals around the world… AND the students…. AND their moms and dads.  


So what is there to be thankful for?


Well, this might be a really good time to pause and put the idea of disruption into context. So… instead of grumping once again about this awful tradition, maybe I can think about a few other people around the world whose lives have been disrupted this week.  Like really disrupted!  With bombs and killing all around them. Like the Americans living and working around the world who suddenly find themselves trying to find flights to escape from danger.


Sure enough, I did it, didn’t I? I suddenly pulled the story back to being about Americans, didn’t I? How easy it is for us to see the world through our own rose-colored lenses.


So now what do I do with these thoughts and this disruption on this Thursday designated for thankfulness? I can hear myself thinking that I’m thankful that my major disruptions are pretty small compared to the rest of the world.  But even that can get a little cheesy and weird.


One of the purposes for this tradition was to remind myself that I have MUCH to be thankful for.  

And yes, I ended that sentence with a preposition.  

And yes, I want my heart to be tender toward those across my city and around the world.

Even though I don’t know how my tender heart can solve such dilemmas I want it to be tender.  

Kind. 

Compassionate. 

I wish to show empathy.

I wish to care - even when it hurts.



No comments:

Post a Comment